Thanks for your interest in working for the Portland Food Co-op. At this time we are hiring for the position of General Manager.
Portland Food Co-op General Manager, Portland Maine
The Portland Food Co-op is seeking a vibrant community-oriented leader to serve as our General Manager. The Portland Food Co-op opened a grocery store in November of 2014, and since then we’ve exceeded all expectations related to sales, expenses, and membership growth. All indicators show that PFC is a sustainable business positioned for steady and continued growth and we want our GM to be enthusiastic about continuing our successful start-up efforts. The Co-op is owned by members and open to the public, and it offers a wide selection of high quality and fairly priced local, organic, and natural foods and household products. We are dedicated to a diverse and equitable workplace, supporting local farmers and producers, serving our community and building the local economy.
The ideal candidate should have at least five years experience as General Manager or other senior management position at a food co-op. The General Manager (GM) will plan and oversee all Co-op operations, including current staff of 25 and be responsible for meeting all business and organizational goals. Candidates should have a solid understanding of business accounting principles, organizational budgeting and business planning, as well as margins, setting sales goals, pricing, product merchandising, and marketing. The GM will be responsible for hiring and supervision of all Co-op management and will report directly to the Board of Directors under policy governance. It is imperative that the GM value co-op principles and demonstrate ability to connect with the local community.
We are currently on track to have 3500 Member-Owners and annual sales of over $3 million at the end of our first year of store operations. We are seeking a leader with demonstrated experience leading a team through a period of significant growth.
Portland is a city full of inspiration, where startups become local institutions. Portland was ranked #1 Most Liveable City by Forbes Magazine in 2009 and is in the top ten for Greenest City, Best Farmers Market, and Foodiest Small Town. Learn more at liveworkportland.org.
This is a full-time salaried position with health benefits and paid vacation. The target start date is June 1st 2015. To apply please send resume, cover letter, and three professional references to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
General Manager Job Description
Purpose: To manage PFC operations and lead our cooperative to achieve the Ends policies based on Policy Governance as determined by the Board of Directors.
Status: Reports to the Board of Directors
OVERVIEW OF GM RESPONSIBILITIES
- Direct all financial operations of PFC
- Report to board on financial performance of PFC
- Provide financial analyses of current operations and future plans.
- Monitor deviations from budget and take corrective action to meet established goals.
- Ensure a triple bottom line: economic viability, sustainability and healthy community.
- Lead preparation of annual work plans to achieve stated PFC Ends, including: operating, capital, and cash budgets, Member Owner engagement, marketing plan, wage and benefits package.
- Provide board with information to support the development of long range strategic plans to further the PFC mission and participate with the Board the development of those plans..
- Ensure the establishment and maintenance of a product mix that meets member-owner needs.
- Plan and execute a margin strategy designed to be price competitive and maintain adequate net income for growth.
- HUMAN RESOURCES
- Ensure employee handbook is kept current and up to date.
- Ensure timely evaluations for all staff, based on written job descriptions and performance standards.
- Ensure a safe healthy workplace for all employees.
- Ensure staff training and development opportunities.
- Approve all pay increases.
- Set measurable objectives periodically for all managers.
- MARKETING & MEMBER-OWNERSHIP
- Develop an advertising and marketing strategy to increase public awareness of the PFC’s products and services and ensure the continual growth of PFC member-ownership, including building and maintaining relationships in the community.
- Oversee store displays, signage and other promotions that will be educational and help to maximize marketing impact.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. The ideal candidate will have proven successful experience with the functions listed below.
- Experience managing a retail food store
- Demonstrated experience with the start-up of a retail business
- Responsibility for bottom-line decisions in a retail business
- Embrace values that align with a cooperative business
- Proven ability to develop and implement a vision
- Strategic planning experience
- Ability to analyze and report on financial performance
- Proficiency in accounting, including bookkeeping and financial statements
- Operating and capital budgeting and management experience
- Demonstrated ability to give and receive feedback, build relationships with stakeholders, and resolve conflicts
- Proficiency in Management Information Systems and point-of-sale (POS) software
- Proven ability to build, develop, and lead a team
- Experience in marketing in highly competitive markets
- Demonstrated experience growing member-ownership and customer base
- Financial accountability of a minimum $2-4M in retail food store sales
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Sit and review information on a computer screen or on paper for long periods of time.
- Reach with hands and arms.
- Walk, climb, balance and stoop.
- Lift and or move up to 25 pounds unassisted.
The work environment described here is representative of what an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
The duties of this position are performed in a well-lit, temperature controlled store environment.
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER NOTICE
The duties, elements, responsibilities, skills, functions, experience, requirements and conditions listed in this job description are representative only and are not exclusive of the tasks that an employee may be required to perform. The employer reserves the right to revise this job description at any time and require employees to perform other tasks as circumstances or conditions of its business, competitive considerations or the work environment change.